By Ron Pramschufer, President , Self Publishing, Inc. – Helping Authors Become Publishers since 1995
Hundreds of Print on Demand – POD companies are willing to help with your book, selling you a package with one of their ISBNs, publishing your book, and paying you a royalty on your book sales.
For tens of thousands of authors every year, this vanity press publishing model has been irresistible. And, to be fair, it’s proven adequate for author/publishers with little to no expectations of commercial success. The most popular vanity publishing model relies on Print On Demand – POD book printing and distribution available through retail booksellers. What makes this method so attractive?
- The overwhelmed author can turn over control of the publishing process.
- The author who wants to be published is assigned an ISBN and distribution is set up.
- The writer who doesn’t want to mess with design gets her book and cover designed.
- The author who doesn’t want to be involved with customer purchasing processes gets the sales and distribution handled and royalties paid.
But if you look behind that cute, innocent lamb mask, you’ll find that the flip side of the coin leaves the author little more than the prey of hungry wolves.
- The vanity press publisher determines the schedule, process, retail pricing, and owns the printer files for the book.
- The vanity press publisher owns the ISBN and is listed as the publisher of the book, entitling that company to the majority of the profits from all book sales.
- The vanity press publisher has the ultimate control over the visual appearance of the book.
- The vanity press publisher holds the purse strings, paying a small percentage to the author as a royalty on any books sales.
So let’s look at that opening line a little differently …
Hundreds of companies are ferociously competing to be your publisher-for-pay, selling you a package with one of their ISBNs that will put most of the money you earn from your book sales that you generate into their pockets, publishing your book the way they think will make them the most money, and claiming the majority of your book sales’ profits as if they’ve done anything that remotely resembles what a mainstream traditional publisher would do to publish and promote your book, generate targeted reader interest, and earn every single sale to each individual reader.
For tens of thousands of authors with true commercial goals—like you—vanity press publishers with their Print-On-Demand-only model are wholly impotent. The good news is that you can have Self Publishing, Inc.—one of the most trusted, long-standing companies in the industry—provide you a better service that lets you maintain control of your book from start to finish. No longer do you have to pay a vanity press publisher for the privilege of letting them keep the majority of your profits.
Introducing Direct To Print on Demand – POD.
What do you want to accomplish by publishing your book? If you have a “friends & family” book and would just like to have it “out there” and see whether it sinks or swims, you now have a new option. Self Publishing, Inc. offers a Direct To POD package, to provide its author/publishers the same comprehensive availability in the bookselling marketplace, with the freedom to set their own retail prices, and the ability to keep 100 percent of their net profits. Our author/publishers own their ISBNs and their printer files. They are their own publisher. And—just like with any vanity publishing model—the success of their book remains squarely on their shoulders.
Break it down for me, Ron?
Self Publishing’s two new Direct To POD packages include:
- an ISBN that you own;
- design of your paperback fiction book’s cover and interior using industry-standard patterns*;
- hardcover edition (with Package #2);
- ownership of your book’s printer files;
- design of an e-book and Kindle edition of your title;
- the very first copy of your book, hot off the presses;
- inclusion in our Thor Print-On-Demand program;
- a 5% discount on your subsequent press run and upgraded services*;
- 100% of your book’s net sales and profits;
* Can be upgraded to add editorial services, custom design, and for nonfiction titles.
Why would anyone choose vanity publishing?
The average author doesn’t know what they don’t know. They probably don’t know they can own their own ISBN, own their printer files, and receive 100 percent of their net profits. The old proverb goes, “Education is learning a lot about how little you know.”
But you know the difference and can confidently choose your publishing path based on the goals you have for your book—not on the hype from out-source telemarketing sales pups. Because you are reading and researching, you will reap the rewards in the form of profits, control, confidence, freedom. Well done!
If you have a “friends & family” project, you can choose Self Publishing’s Direct To POD package and confidently enter the publishing world with minimal investment and your hands firmly on the reins.
But I have larger goals!
Put on the brakes! If you want to make a bigger splash in the publishing pond than to just get it “out there,” the POD-only model isn’t sufficient for you. You have to publish the best book you can. You’ve got to have books to sell books. You have to promote your book to the right, targeted readers. You’ve got to take the reins and confidently drive your book publishing process.
Self Publishing, Inc. provides a full menu of a la carte services and processes to help you confidently strike out to be your book’s publisher. For you, we’re like the Home Depot of self publishing. We provide the tools. You hammer the nails.
Whatever goals you have for your book …
… Self Publishing, Inc. has the services you need, the staff to help you publish your book your way, and the reputation you trust.
What are you waiting for? For more information (Click here)